Translate

Thursday 13 November 2014

The Initial Post: Football and Feminism

Welcome all!

So, here we have it at last - my first ever blog post! I must say, it has been somewhat exciting and unnerving at the same time. It's recently been on my mind, starting blogging, but I just haven't found the time. However now, what with the 2014/15 football season in full swing, I thought "why not?" - if I don't get round to doing this now, I won't ever, especially with 'sparks flying at Stamford Bridge'!

And on that note, I'm brought to the point of discussing the issues covered in this blog 
which will, (for those that know me, you'll already have a faint idea), surround the issues of feminism and mostly, football, or any other topics I spontaneously feel the need to cover. I suppose the main reason I felt the need to start a blog for was because it's a way I can express myself, and this is where the feminism aspect ties in. It is possible to be female, and love football for more than just the players, as you'll see when these blogs develop. Furthermore, I think it's a rather pleasant idea to be able to share daily experiences that can be rather enjoyable with those reading. 

So, what's so special about football?

I don't think you can explain the heartbreak you feel when you've lost your title hopes to your rivals, or when you've just conceded and gone down 2-0 in a match crucial for your team: it resembles a game of survival. But then again, you can't quite explain the sentiment of passion that rushes through your veins when you're going through to the final of the Champions League, or when you've just smashed your London neighbours 6-0 in the Prem. (Come on. It should be obvious I'm a Chelsea fan now!) However in saying that, football unites us. It isn't just a sport, it's a passion. That one precious jewel they kick about on the pitch inside our 'second home' harbours a million different feelings and it's a lifestyle. The craving is unbearable. We are football.

Then, why feminism? 

When you're interested in a sport that is, (and I'm not going to sugar-coat anything), predominantly male-dominated, it is hard to be able to "fit in", I guess. In today's society, females just don't like football - they'd prefer to be shopping, right? Wrong. Very wrong. That is why it's so hard to be able to not get frustrated when misogynistic comments are made, telling you to "get back to the kitchen", or go "clean the dishes". Unfortunately for us though, misogyny, discrimination and objectification of the female form are all present in the art of football too. Females deserve to be equal. We can like football too. We shouldn't have to 'prove' ourselves just because we're not male, and nor are we going to. Being feminist in a sport so masculine does benefit you; it disallows you to tolerate gender discrimination that exists in the 21st century, shockingly. It disables you from making the assumptions 'certain' sports should be left for 'certain' people (i.e - men). It does give you a sense of self-worth, it does give you something more to feel passionate about, and that's something we should all value.

I'd like to conclude on the small note of being happy with who you are. It does sound rather cliché, I'm aware of that, however I feel it's rather appropriate to end on this, considering the issues previously covered. Don't let yourself change for society, or for anyone. Accept who you are, even though that might not be what's "expected" or "wanted" from you. Everyone is original anyhow.

And that's the end of my first post! I did promise myself it was going to be short, but here we are! Have yourselves a lovely week, and if you've read this far, I do thank you. It's much appreciated!

With love, Sophie.

P.S, I'd like to just share this picture. It captures both of the topics covered: being able to be female and love football. Here's to more success for us! 




No comments:

Post a Comment